Thursday, March 28, 2013

Creamy Tortellini Soup

This weather.  Ug.  As I sit here typing this, there are snow flakes flying outside my window.  I am normally not opposed to snow...except for one thing:

IT'S MARCH 26TH!!!  What is happening?  What ever happened to global warming?  Who do I talk to about this?  Al Gore?  The groundhog?  Al Roker?  I want answers!  I'm having to drag my flower pots in the house every night and it's ruining everything!

Obviously, I have been very upset about this weather.  So to make myself feel better and to warm up, I had to make something hot.  So hot, in fact, that I burned my tongue on the first bite.  I was desperate to warm up I tell you.

This little dish here is super creamy and just a little bit spicy.  You can kick it down a notch by using regular Rotel, but why?  It's freezing outside!

Creamy Tortellini Soup



Ingredients:

6 cups chicken broth
1.25 lbs ground turkey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp fennel seed
4 cups fresh baby spinach
1 can hot Rotel
1 package Buitoni three cheese tortellini
8 oz reduced fat cream cheese, room temp and cut into pieces
salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese for garnish


Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat.


Once it's nice and hot, add your ground turkey.


Cook and crumble over medium heat...


Keep on cooking til it's browned.  Then stir in the fennel and garlic. 


Now add your chicken broth to the ground turkey pot.


Then add your Rotel, and salt and pepper to taste. 


And stir it all together, cover, and bring to a boil.

Now, add your pasta.


Allow to boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Pasta will swell like so:


Now it's time to add the spinach.  Do this by piling half of it on top, then stirring it in.  Then pile on the other half, and stir in.

It wilts down quickly.


Now!  Reduce heat to low and stir in the cream cheese pieces...


Cover and cook on low for 5-10 minutes, stirring a couple of times.


 After 10 minutes, remove the lid slowly...






Beautiful!  There you have it.  Creamy, yummy, and most importantly, piping hot.  Serve immediately, and top with shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired. It'll warm you right up. 

Enjoy! 





 



No comments:

Post a Comment