Saturday, January 26, 2013

Egg Muffins

I have a confession.  I am not a breakfast person.

I have another confession.  I am not an egg person.

Given these two facts, this recipe is probably confusing to you.  But here's the deal. I need to eat breakfast.  It makes me 62%  more pleasant to my co workers, and it makes me eat about 9% less candy (hey, every little bit helps).  And I want to like eggs.  I really do.  It bothers me that I don't like them.  I enjoy making them, and I always have no less than a dozen in my fridge ready to go.  Plus they are a great source of protein, they're cheap, and they naturally come in individual portion sizes.  I have to learn to like these things.

So over the years, I have tried and tried all different kinds of eggs all different ways, and I have come to a conclusion.  I like eggs just fine if they are mixed with enough stuff so they don't taste like plain old eggs.

Which brings me to my new little friends the Egg Muffins.  The egg is the base, but you can customize them however you like.  Bacon, sausage, cheese, chives, jalapenos, salsa - the sky's the limit.  They're also cool because they are portable.  Make them for breakfast on Sunday.  One batch makes six muffins, so that's perfect.  You can eat one for breakfast now, then you have one to take to go every day of the week.



There is a basic formula to these.  Here it is:

Any breakfast meat + any cheese + seasoning/veggie + eggs = Egg Muffins

By the way, this particular variety below is only 95 calories per muffin.  And it does not taste like a plain old egg.  It tastes cheesy, spicy, sausage-y, and delicious.

Egg Muffins




Ingredients:

1 cup turkey sausage crumbles
5 eggs
1/4 cup 2% shredded cheddar
diced jalapenos to taste
salt and pepper



Preheat oven to 375.  Spray 6 of the cups in a muffin tin.  In each sprayed cup, place equal portions of the crumbled sausage.



Then add equal portions of the cheese.



Next add jalapenos to each cup, as many as you want.



In a mixing bowl, crack your eggs.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  I also added a little dried parsley, just because.



Now beat with a wire whisk until well combined.



Pour equal portions of eggs into each muffin cup over the other ingredients.


The muffin cups should be full but not overflowing.


You can see my helper in this picture.  Hi Marles!

Bake for 30 minutes.  Serve hot.  Refrigerate up to one week.  To reheat, microwave for 30 seconds, covered.  Enjoy!


Side note:  Now that I can say I officially like eggs, I am off to conquer the only remaining food that I do not like:  celery!  That one presents a real challenge.  I've done everything from piling it with peanut butter to drowning it in bleu cheese and I still hate the stuff.  My aversion to celery is akin to Newman's hatred of broccoli (vile weed!).  So I'm going to have to get back to you on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment